From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stability of /sys api
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:23:12
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
> I know of no such problem with udisks, have you reported them to the > upstream developers?
As I said, it's just what I hear — perhaps it's the usual retrograde whining. I should probably just try udisks-glue, the only issue I see is that it depends on UDisks 1.
> You can stall the whole hotplug path, causing issues and overruns.
Note that the script I mentioned immediately forks, and only updates autofs mapping entries — it doesn't actually mount anything.
> Right there, if that's all you need, and it's what most embedded systems > need, udev isn't even needed, just use devtmpfs and all is fine.
Perhaps I wasn't expressing myself clearly — the point was to show that mdev is not needed. I used mdev in initramfs previously, but now rely on devtmpfs and the one-liner /sbin/hotplug for loading modules. Incidentally, turning off mdev resulted in Busybox executable size change of precisely 0, which I guess shows how much mdev actually does.
> I really want to get rid of that entry and option from the kernel entirely
Please don't — it's useful in Busybox-based initramfs. Dracut-like inclusion of udev and its dependencies DAG is usually unnecessary and an overkill. -- Maxim Kammerer Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)