From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stability of /sys api
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:23:12
1 On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:21 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 > I know of no such problem with udisks, have you reported them to the
3 > upstream developers?
4
5 As I said, it's just what I hear — perhaps it's the usual retrograde
6 whining. I should probably just try udisks-glue, the only issue I see
7 is that it depends on UDisks 1.
8
9 > You can stall the whole hotplug path, causing issues and overruns.
10
11 Note that the script I mentioned immediately forks, and only updates
12 autofs mapping entries — it doesn't actually mount anything.
13
14 > Right there, if that's all you need, and it's what most embedded systems
15 > need, udev isn't even needed, just use devtmpfs and all is fine.
16
17 Perhaps I wasn't expressing myself clearly — the point was to show
18 that mdev is not needed. I used mdev in initramfs previously, but now
19 rely on devtmpfs and the one-liner /sbin/hotplug for loading modules.
20 Incidentally, turning off mdev resulted in Busybox executable size
21 change of precisely 0, which I guess shows how much mdev actually
22 does.
23
24 > I really want to get rid of that entry and option from the kernel entirely
25
26 Please don't — it's useful in Busybox-based initramfs. Dracut-like
27 inclusion of udev and its dependencies DAG is usually unnecessary and
28 an overkill.
31 Maxim Kammerer
32 Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)