From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 11:15:59
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
> thinking about it a little more, i think this can easily be addressed. >  only auto-generate the ChangeLog file if it doesnt exist in VCS. > thus the few people who are actually anal about typos (or just think > they are) can retain their ChangeLogs in the packages they maintain > and continue to hand update them.  for the rest of us, we can > autogenerate from the VCS logs.
I'm not sure we should really leave that up to individual practice. Remember that while packages have one or more maintainers, nobody "owns" a package. If 99% of the tree is ChangeLog-free then will an arch team remember to run echangelog on the 1% that still have them, and so on? This seems like we're adding complexity for a questionable return. If typos matter then they matter to everybody, and if they don't then we should not care. QA in Gentoo should be a consistent experience. Just my two cents. Rich