From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] avoiding urgent stabilizations
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:25:46
1 On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 10:02:36PM +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2 > On 2/7/11 9:50 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > > My suggestion, as I said to fosdem, is to freeze, or take a
4 > > snapshot if you like, of the current tree, stabilize what you need to
5 > > stabilize, test the whole tree ( at least compile wise ) for a couple of
6 > > weeks and then replace the existing stable tree. Of course this requires
7 > > automated script testing, hardware facilities etc etc that we don't have
8 > > so claiming that stable tree is "stable" is quite wrong.
9 >
10 > This more thorough testing sounds really interesting. But do we really
11 > lack hardware resources?
12 >
13 Yes!
14 > There are machines available for various arches at
15 > <http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/dev-machines.xml>. I have
16 > at least a few chromium-related chroots on miranda, and I've never heard
17 > complaints, so it seems a few more chroots for arch testing wouldn't hurt.
18 >
19 No. Miranda, in particular, can go down anytime soon. This is what infra
20 told me twice.
21
22 > Of course for testing bootability and whether X11 starts up correctly,
23 > etc we'd probably have to host some virtual machines, but better compile
24 > testing (for example for toolchain updates) would be a good start.
25 >
26 > Paweł
27 >
28 Lets move this conversation on the thread that Tim started earlier
29 today. Seems like there is some hardware available for us on OSUOSL
30
31 Regards,
32 --
33 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2