From: Thomas Beaudry <tmbeaudry@×××.com>
To: stubear@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-core@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CJK testing
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 18:09:26
1 > > I'm with Marko. The use flag should be unicode. More accurate
2 > > description of what it's for even if people are only using it for
3 > > CJK support at the moment.
4 >
5 >The reason that CJK was chosen was that untill postgresql, I have only
6 >ever seen --enable-multibyte used for adding Asian font capabilities. It
7 >wasn't till this response that I was even aware that postgresql used it
8 >to add support for unicode (and others as well). I'll have to look at
9 >this issue in more depth because on occasion adding Asian support
10 >sometimes kills Russian or Greek support. May have to add an additional
11 >flag.
12 >
13 >Unicode in this case is better, but not actually more accurate as
14 >unicode is just 1 of many encodings that postgresql activate with
15 >--enable-multibyte. multibyte or i18n might be more appropriate?
16
17 Multibyte sounds like the best to me. i18n uses both single- and multi-
18 byte fonts so wouldn't be entirely accurate.
22 Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com