From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 22:51:52
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:14:54PM +0000, David Leverton wrote:
2 > On 14 March 2012 21:04, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Haveing a separate /usr is wonderful, and once we finish moving /sbin/
4 > > and /bin/ into /usr/ it makes even more sense.  See the /usr page at
5 > > fedora for all of the great reasons why this is good.
6 >
7 > My point was examine, in detail, whether separate-/usr-with-initramfs
8 > has any disadvantages compared to separate-/usr-without-initramfs.
9
10 Oh, that's simple, separate-/usr-without-initramfs will not work and
11 will not be supported :)
12
13 Again, the fact that it works for some people today is pure luck, and
14 odds are, it really isn't, but it's really hard to determine this given
15 that the init system they are using doesn't provide a good feedback loop
16 for this type of thing.
17
18 Hence, it is not supported.
19