From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, multilib <multilib@g.o>, qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Replacing binary-only SLOTs with separate packages
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 09:58:41
1 >>>>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2019, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > My suggestion is to move binary compatibility slots into separate
4 > packages. For example, dev-libs/openssl would be split into:
5
6 > dev-libs/openssl -- containing the actual package
7
8 > dev-libs/openssl-bin-compat -- containing binary compatibility slots
9
10 A long time ago, that scheme was used, but around 2010 is was changed
11 to the current slot-based solution. For example, there used to be
12 media-libs/jpeg-compat and x11-libs/openmotif-compat, and these were
13 moved to compatibility slots of the main package.
14
15 So before reverting that change, I would suggest to look up the old
16 discussion, in order to find out if there was a valid reason for it.
17
18 Also the "bin" is confusing, if the package is compiled from source.
19 Why not simply dev-libs/openssl-compat?
20
21 Ulrich