From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: an eclass for github snapshots?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 19:20:56
1 On Wed, 2011-06-08 at 16:50 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 08 Jun 2011 17:43:38 +0200
3 > Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
4 > > That leaves the question what to do with the approach for EAPI=2,3.
5 > > I'd rather not risk breaking ebuilds by removing this support just
6 > > for a violation of PMS if there is no real problem exposed by it.
7 >
8 > The 'invariant' restriction on S in PMS is, strictly speaking, stronger
9 > than it has to be. However, working out exactly what set of weaker
10 > rules would be ok proved to be too difficult -- historically, Portage
11 > has had various different behaviours for global scope variables that
12 > are assigned variable values. Thus, PMS is the way it is there because
13 > we know for sure that if you follow those rules you're safe; if you
14 > don't, you'll definitely cause problems for EAPI 4, and you may or may
15 > not get away with it for earlier EAPIs.
16 >
17 > It's a bit like assuming that it's ok to dereference a null pointer
18 > and get a zero, since that's what one particular system does...
19
20 Thanks for the background on this particular part of the specification.
21
22 I think I'll add an eqawarn to the eclass for EAPI=2,3 and migrate
23 ebuilds over naturally. I'll bump the remaining ones in 6 months or so.
24 That also gives overlays some time to move to EAPI=4.
25
26 Kind regards,
27
28 Hans