From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: filter-mfpmath: has Gentoo out grown it ?
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 05:28:15
On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:36:16 -0500
Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:

> I've never thought of -mfpmath=sse as a "ricer" flag. If anything, it > should make floating point calculations more consistent.
Not really. It's it's extremely target processor dependent and generally the defaults are the best settings. It can vary a lot based on the SSE instructions and number of registers available and the register allocator and scheduler are optimized with that in mind.
> The varying behavior between gcc versions seems like a possibly good > reason to not "support" it, but I'm not familiar with this. Has it > stabilized recently or is it still in flux?
I'd say it's still in flux. The register allocator and instruction scheduler were both rewritten for 4.4 and have seen a lot of work since then. -- fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662