From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] SLOT-OPERATOR-DEPS (Was: PMS EAPI 3 more or less ready)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:04:08
1 On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 05:11:15 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > > * SLOT-OPERATOR-DEPS
4 >
5 > An outstanding problem to me as a package maintainer is the lack of
6 > means to know which slot the PM actually picked for the package, as
7 > some of my co-maintained packages have no use of := if it can't know
8 > which version was picked to act accordingly in src_configure.
9
10 The best installed version that matches the spec is always picked
11 for :=. We originally considered making this more complicated, or
12 possibly making ways of saying "all installed slots", but neither
13 appears to have a legitimate use case. The latter in particular would
14 only encourage abuse (people might mistakenly think it's a solution to
15 the Python / Ruby ABIs thing).
18 Ciaran McCreesh