From: Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 20:06:15
1 On 03/14/12 14:56, Zac Medico wrote:
2 > On 03/14/2012 11:36 AM, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 19:58, Matthew Summers
4 >> <quantumsummers@g.o> wrote:
5 >>> Why is an in-kernel initramfs so bad anyway? I am baffled. Its quite
6 >>> nice to have a minimal recovery env in case mounting fails, etc, etc,
7 >>> etc.
8 >>
9 >> There is nothing bad about initramfs. I think that you are misreading
10 >> the arguments above.
11 >
12 > Whatever the arguments may be, the whole discussion boils down to the
13 > fact that the only people who seem to have a "problem" are those that
14 > have a separate /usr partition and simultaneously refuse to use an
15 > initramfs.
16
17 I do not have a separate /usr partition, however I agree with Joshua
18 Kinard's stance regarding the /usr move. The point of having a separate
19 /usr was to enable UNIX to exceed the space constraints that a 1.5MB
20 hard disk placed on rootfs. As far as I know, we do not support a 1.5MB
21 rootfs so it would make sense to deprecate the practice of having things
22 that belong in / in /usr directory, as opposed to making /usr into a new /.
23
24 Deprecation of this practice would mean that people could type
25 /bin/command instead of /usr/bin/command in situations where absolute
26 paths are necessary. We could symlink things in /usr to rootfs for
27 compatibility with legacy software. In a more extreme case, we could
28 symlink /usr to /, which would make plenty of sense given that we do not
29 need a separate /usr at all.