From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 02:39:38
1 On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
2 > How about if we add a `emerge --upgrade` target that is analogous to
3 > `apt-get upgrade`? If we hide the new defaults behind a target like
4 > --upgrade, rather than change the defaults globally, then it allows
5 > people's existing scripted and habitual emerge commands to continue to
6 > work in a backward compatible manner.
7
8 I think this is a good idea - and I wasn't seriously proposing that we
9 just change those flags (if we were to do it we'd have to deprecate
10 them slowly/etc).
11
12 Perhaps define that --upgrade means "do the right thing (TM)" and that
13 it shouldn't be used in scripts unless those using the script are
14 willing to tolerate that this behavior could change over time.
15
16 Rich