From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 20:02:43
1 Rich Freeman schrieb:
2 >> Yet another stand. No offense but I'm afraid it's quite childish of you.
3 >> I don't understand why you're so proud of it. It's a bit like 'Gentoo
4 >> will play as I like. If it doesn't, then I will play against Gentoo.
5 >> And if that doesn't help, I will resent and slam the door, and then
6 >> write to ml about it.'
7 >
8 > Honestly, if people want to have that attitude they might as well stop
9 > maintaining anything that installs a daemon. As a developer you have
10 > NO power to prevent somebody else from co-maintaining, and since those
11 > devs who use systemd are likely to want to have units and they're
12 > willing to do the work, you can expect somebody to show up and add a
13 > unit.
14
15 This is why I suggested that in case of uncooperative maintainers and
16 upstreams, put the systemd unit in an extra package. Like it is done for
17 selinux policies.
18
19 > The very nature of Gentoo leads to situations where you'll get
20 > requests from other devs to add support for crazy stuff to your
21 > packages (X32, prefix, init systems, etc). As long as somebody else
22 > is willing to do the work to maintain it (as a developer or proxy) and
23 > it doesn't hurt conventional users, we should cooperate.
24
25 With x32, I generally refused to apply the patches to x11 maintained packages
26 before they had upstream ack first.
29 Best regards,
30 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn