From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:05:20
1 On 07/25/2018 02:28 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 >
3 > Adding udev to the base profile will make customization much harder
4 > for people unwilling to use udev. This is the problem.
7 To stay on the original track, I was suggesting adding it to the linux
8 profile component, not base. And people who are unwilling to use udev
9 would disable it globally, like people who are unwilling to use pam or ipv6.
10
11 But I understand where you're coming from in general-- that we've
12 already achieved a good minimal balance in enabling udev only where it's
13 really needed, and enabling it in linux make.defaults will make it
14 difficult to get back to that state.
15
16 So I will just continue to ask for IUSE=+udev where I believe it's very
17 important for sane functionality of a particular package. In other
18 words, I'm no longer pushing for the make.defaults change.
19
20 -Ben