From: Fabio Erculiani <lxnay@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] status of releng project
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:14:05
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
4 > 2 questions:
5 >
6 > [......]
7 > 2) Has anyone looked at just taking an existing installation framework
8 > (d-i? kickstart?) and just making it run different stuff?  I honestly
9 > have not looked at either (someone else at work does that thank god)
10 > but it can't be outside of the realm of impossibility...
11
12 I probably said this several times, in Sabayon we do use an almost
13 vanilla Aanconda Installer, that does livecd/dvd to hd. Using Anaconda
14 means that stuff like kickstart is supported (even if we never used
15 that). The downside is: we need to use some of cr*ppy redhatish
16 packages (only for the purpose of satisfying anaconda runtime deps),
17 and libselinux/libsepol, which are known to cause automagic
18 dependencies issues across a wide range of random pkgs. We solve that
19 by bundling such libs in our app-admin/anaconda package and installing
20 them on less annoying library path (/usr/lib/anaconda-runtime),
21 something not really Gentoo-compliant.
24 > -A
25 >
26 >> that's why i said "it'd be nice" and not "i'm going to do it"
27 >> -mike
36 Fabio Erculiani
37 http://lxnay.com
38 http://www.sabayon.org