From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do I really need the tree?
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 19:14:30
On Friday 02 April 2004 20:43, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> Anyway, for now it is much simpler to have a tree of ebuilds which are > easily maintainable than a single (or a few) large xml files which would > become a maintenance nightmare for all the developers involved. > Currently there are many developers who work on only one ebuild in a > particular area. As a good example, I maintain exactly one ebuild in > app-emulation. What kind of separation would there be for the xml > files? How would different versions be accommodated? Unless there was > some "magic" which translated the text ebuilds/eclasses/profiles into > xml (or a db, or whatever) before it went out to the world, and which > *didn't screw up* in the process, I don't think we'd see much of a > change any time soon. Not to mention the amount of work that would need > to be done to portage itself to modify it to parse xml. I know that > this sort of thing has been discussed before, and if memory serves me > correctly, the reason for not doing so was not so much it being a bad > idea or anything but really a matter of developer resources and > energies. There's really nothing wrong with the current approach that > would be helped by having the portage tree be in xml or a database, at > least, not anything worth spending the tremendous amount of resources on > that it would take. Personally, I would rather spend my time fixing > bugs and adding new features to portage, not redoing all of the work I > have done up until now to make it xml compliant.
I agree. The only feasible option that could have some benefit (which doesn't mean I support it) is to make ebuild files selfcontained. There would be some benefits in that, but there is a lot that is more important than even considering that option. Paul -- Paul de Vrieze Gentoo Developer Mail: pauldv@g.o Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net