From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-x86 and git
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 12:29:41
1 Ahoi,
2
3 I've been looking for a clean git-converted gentoo-x86 repo for ... well
4 ... mostly data mining as cvs / anoncvs.g.o is too slow for some things.
5
6 This has been needlessly challenging, which confuses me a bit.
7
8 First, a little complaint:
9
10 There used to be some data at git-exp.overlays.gentoo.org, but that
11 machine has vanished. Ok, stuff happens, but that's not motivating.
12
13 Anoncvs.g.o is bouncing up and down a lot, so just getting the raw cvs
14 repo to do a local conversion is somewhere between needlessly hard and
15 impossible.
16
17 The gentoo-scm mailinglist has mostly fallen asleep, but even the stuff
18 discussed there doesn't seem to exist in a public repo that can be found
19 without telepathy skills.
20
21 So ... well ... if it's that hard to just find out the state of the last
22 experiments there won't be much contribution.
23
24 There is a git repository at https://bitbucket.org/lmnd/gentoo-x86 - but
25 (1) it has truncated history and (2) it diverges by >1500 files from
26 gentoo-x86 for the last week. So that's mostly useless for data mining.
27 (I haven't tried figuring out how it diverges, but raw ebuild count is
28 +1600 for "yesterday", so that's baad)
29
30 I'd appreciate it if people that worked on the conversion would point me
31 at the scripts and documentation they used; I'd appreciate a proper
32 'official' repo to collect such things; and it'd be really useful to
33 have the work-in-progress converted repo online so that people can
34 experiment with it.
35
36 (If anyone needs webspace or similar for that, well, I run lots of cruft
37 anyways, so another annoying thing won't matter ...)
38
39 Thanks for your support,
40
41 Patrick
42
43 P.S. If anyone feels an overwhelming urge to point out the irony ...
44 don't ;)