From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:53:11
1 Am Montag, 21. Juli 2014, 21:37:17 schrieb hasufell:
2 > afaiu dynamic deps are broken and not defined in PMS
3 >
4 > still... people seem to fix deps without revbumping, causing users who
5 > either don't use dynamic deps (it's optional for portage through
6 > --dynamic-deps=y, although it's on by default) or who use a different PM
7 > to not get the fix, at worst resulting in broken dependency calculation
8 >
9 > suggestion:
10 > * stop fixing dependencies without revbumping
11 > * add an appropriate question to the dev quiz
12 > * remove dynamic deps from portage (afair that is already considered by
13 > the portage team)
14
15 Actually the quizzes are pretty much clear on that.
16
17 Revision must be bumped when the on-disk files installed by the ebuild are
18 changed.
19 Nothing about dependencies.
20
21 This has been policy for a LONG time, and we're not going to change it
22 overnight just because you protest.
23
24 Now... whether dynamic deps are technically the right thing to do is another
25 question. It merits discussion, but we need to be really sure about the
26 consequences of any change.
30 Andreas K. Huettel
31 Gentoo Linux developer
32 dilfridge@g.o