From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:25:37
1 El mié, 21-09-2011 a las 04:00 +0000, Duncan escribió:
2 > Patrick Lauer posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2011 19:00:38 +0200 as excerpted:
3 >
4 > > On 09/20/11 15:09, Pacho Ramos wrote:
5 > > > > What do you guys think?
6 > >> I haven't ever tried it but, what would occur if that people with
7 > >> really updated systems simply unpack an updated stage3 tarball in their
8 > >> / and, later, try to update?
9 > >
10 > > Usually things turn ugly - used to be that portage saw that there are
11 > > two glibcs installed and unmerges one (oh crummy, you only had one?
12 > > better reinstall now ...) and other really disturbing side-effects.
13 > >
14 > > Just unpacking a stage3 over a live system is a nice game, but rarely
15 > > has sane results. You'd need to use a VDB-aware tool like qmerge to do
16 > > it cleanly, and then you still don't have a working system (new glibc on
17 > > old kernel, new udev on old kernel, lots of situations where things
18 > > don't work out)
19 >
20 > Thanks, this was far clearer (and more correct) than my attempt.
21 >
22 > The point about old kernel incompatibilities is going to be especially
23 > valid on way outdated installations, and it's something I entirely
24 > missed, because especially with the kernel, I tend toward the leading
25 > edge rather than trailing, and because I bypass gentoo for the kernel
26 > entirely, using my own scripts and upstream git sources, so I don't tend
27 > to think in terms of gentoo/userspace kernel deps at all.
30 Then, maybe people wanting to update really old systems should be guided
31 to get a precompiled updated kernel, probably the one used in liveCDs,
32 no?