From: "M. Edward Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LARGE MESSAGE] Media-sound reorganization!
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:00:53
1 On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 12:36, Chris White wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > Hi, it's your favorite cashew dev Chris. It's come to my attention that
5 > media-sound is FREAKING HUGE (like this email)! I've found that when
6 > people ask me "Hey Chris! What's a good mp3 alternative to xmms!", I
7 > often find myself saying "Let me browse a couple thousand packages to
8 > give you a good idea!". Yah right! Like I have time for that! Here's a
9 > nice plan I spat out (this was done awhile ago, so it might be missing a
10 > couple of packages :P). This includes categories and packages.
11
12 [snip]
13
14 > That's all, now go ahead and comment / whatever. However, if you say "I
15 > think it's a good idea to not organize those 20 billion packages in
16 > media-sound", I'll probably slap you with a wet flounder, close my ears
17 > and say "hear no evil"! Peace :P.
18
19 1. Re-organizing "media-sound" is an *excellent* idea! One of my
20 principal reasons for getting into Linux in the first place was for
21 audio work. "media-sound" is a jungle at present.
22
23 2. I would divide it along these lines:
24
25 a. Core tools -- things like alsa, jack-audio-connection-kit, mixers,
26 timidity, sox, etc. -- stuff *everyone* needs
27
28 b. Synthesis and Digital Signal Processing -- all the synthesizers,
29 wave editors, etc.
30
31 c. Media players, radio, CDs, encoders, streamers, etc.
32
33 d. Music processing: rosegarden, lilypond, common music, jMax,
34 puredata, etc. -- high-level tools for music and algorithmic
35 composition. And I would add some packages to this category: csound,
36 cecilia, Common Lisp Music, Common Music Notation, Athena and sfront. If
37 the licensing works, OpenMusic should be in here too.
38
39 The "gold standard" for Linux studio musicians is the Debian-based
40 Agnula distro. Their "social contract" is perhaps a tad more restrictive
41 than Gentoo's, since they are based in Europe, but they have or are
42 working on just about everything I need as a studio musician/algorithmic
43 composer.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list