From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Documentation Considerations
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 09:49:13
1 Hi devs,
2
3 I have a few thoughts how we can handle the documentation for gentoo in
4 a way that we can use it for our
5 webpage and independently for a printable book.
6
7 At the moment we have two packages in app-doc
8
9 gentoo-web contains daniels gentoo-xsl style docs and stylesheets to
10 convert them to html
11 gentoo-doc contains docbook-sgml style docs which can be converted with
12 dsssl stylesheets
13 to html,pdf,ps,man
14
15 Both packages contain the daniels install docs and petes Gentoo-HOWTO.
16
17 Now my plan.
18 We separate the articles from the build packages.
19 This means we create gentoo-install, gentoo-portage, gentoo-ebuild,
20 gentoo-man which contain
21 either gentoo-xsl or docbook style docs and those docs only get
22 installed to /usr/share/doc/gentoo/[guide|docbook].
23 Once daniel has finished his gentoo->html xsl stylesheet, I create a
24 gentoo->docbook xsl-sheet.
25
26 gentoo-web now can contain an global xml file which is generated dynamic
27 from the content of
28 /usr/share/doc/gentoo/guide. It generates the website-content from
29 this global file.
30
31 gentoo-doc must convert the guide-style files to docbook. After that it
32 generates a global docbook book
33 file and creates prinatble output.
34
35 This way we have our docs allways up to date on the web and as a book.
36
37 achim~