From: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@××××.hu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vapier@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openssh sftplogging patch
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 06:43:32
1 On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:15:46 +0100
2 Wolfram Schlich <lists@×××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > In what ChangeLog, the portage package ChangeLog?
5 > Yeah, I also had to look at the OpenSSH ChangeLog to find out that
6 > SFTP logging has been added as a new feature.
7
8 Yep, of course I meant the openssh package ChangeLog in portage
9 which IMHO should contain a word about why a USE flag has been
10 removed.
11
12 > > To me this doesn't look like as if it would have been integrated...
13 >
14 > The sftp-server(8) binary has new command line options that influence
15 > SFTP logging:
16 >
17 > -f log_facility
18 > -l log_level
19 >
20 > The sftplogging also contains functionality to control umask and permit
21 > chmod and chgrp, which the upstream sftp-server does not provide.
22
23 Hmm... do I understand correctly that the sftplogging patch has not
24 been integrated but only a part of it's functions has been implemented
25 in a different way than it is in the patch?
26
27 Well, the syslog logging is useful but those settings about umask and
28 chmod/chgrp are essential in managing an sftp-based file repository with
29 multiuser access which is a great alternative to cleartext FTP access.
30 Using the settings the sftplogging patch provides I can set up an sftp
31 server in a usable and secure way which would otherwise be impossible.
32
33 So here is a big PLEASE to keep/put back the sftplogging patch and
34 the use flag in the openssh ebuild!
35
36 Thanks!
37