From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tone in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:33:08
1 Jorge,
4 On 06/17/10 02:14, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
5 > Sebastian, I understand your concern, but as Alec puts it, we have gone
6 > a long way since the 2007-2008 low regarding this type of behaviour.
7 > I'm not advocating that communication in Gentoo mediums has become
8 > perfect, but I don't see all the rudeness and lack of respect and
9 > empathy that you see, not in a global manner.
10
11 maybe is has been worse, maybe other projects do worse.
12 I have been to IRC channels of other distros and went away quickly, yes.
13
14 Still: I use Gentoo for about a year; during that year I have seen many
15 cases.
18 > There are a few cases where people could and should improve their
19 > behaviour, but let's not forget we're a technical community and so it's
20 > imho an illusion to expect us to have a "hugs and kisses" tone.
21
22 I was expecting someone to bring up "hugs and kisses" as you say.
23 In my impression other technical projects do much better in that regard
24 so it doesn't seem impossible. KDE and Xiph come to my mind: they do
25 better. Our low number of female developers could also be an indicator
26 for the atmosphere in here.
27
28 I wouldn't feel to bad if Gentoo is widely recognized as the
29 distribution with the most friendly community around in 2011.
30
31 Best,
35 Sebastian