From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ebuild bumping policy wrt KEYWORDS
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:20:46
1 On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 16:04 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:51:43 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | From a package maintainer perspective, I'm not fine with it. Imho an
5 > | arch should simply not go stable, before the package maintainer marks
6 > | his arch stable. I cannot care for arch maintainers - and their users
7 > | - if they run into problems, e.g. due to dependency changes while I do
8 > | not consider the ebuild stable. If the arch maintainer thinks, he
9 > | knows a package better than me and cannot even ask before doing so -
10 > | o.k., not my problem. We had the discussion a while back...
11 >
12 > Personally I prefer my original wording:
13 >
14 > > Arch teams: when moving from ~arch to arch on an actively maintained
15 > > package where you're going ahead of the maintainer's arch, it's best
16 > > to consult first. You don't necessarily have to follow the
17 > > maintainer's advice, but at least listen to what they have to say.
18
19 It's basically the same thing as carlo said, only covered in a nice
20 sauce of political correctness. It's pretty simple, without a real good
21 reason an arch should never go beyond the maintainers arch & never
22 without checking back with the maintaining herd even.
23
24 So, your 'original wording' is no policy at all, it's just trying to
25 give a wrong sense of QA which is completely lacking from it & is just
26 trying to maintain the status-quo you enjoy at this point.
27
28 - foser