From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@×××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 16:20:09
On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 03:56:43AM +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
> You can however merge dissimilar histories with no common parents if > you know what you're doing. It does warn you, but it still lets you do > it. > > … > > Yeah, selectively pulling in files with histories however is hard, > I've occasionally been fussed enough to create temporary copies of > branches, and then iterate over their history so the history is > reduced to changes only for a small selection of files, but its > largely lots of work, and I can't remember how to do it every time I > go to do it -_-
I have to look it up every time I need it too, but the procedure involves `git filter-branch` [1,2], and actually is pretty easy to wrap your head around, even though the paricular commands are not so easy to remember. Trevor [1]: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7375528/ [2]: http://gbayer.com/development/moving-files-from-one-git-repository-to-another-preserving-history/ -- This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (http://www.gnupg.org). For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy