From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 19:44:41
1 On 10/04/2017 19:58, Christopher Head wrote:
2 > On April 9, 2017 7:04:13 PM PDT, "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The present system is a PITA for users. Fiddling with adding/removing
4 >> targets for Python/Ruby.
5 >
6 > As an ordinary user, that does sound like a real annoyance. As an ordinary user, I also never do it. I don’t have any targets set by hand. I probably never will. And yes, I do some Python development myself (not much packaging but “using” Python in the sense of writing Python code). I find the Python experience largely painless: I currently have 2.7.12 and 3.4.5 installed. Eventually 3.5 will get installed and 3.4 will go away. Just like every other package. I won’t need to do any config file editing, just a revdep-rebuild run perhaps. So regardless of the situation for maintainers, as a user, I don’t see this pain.
10 As another regular user, you most definitely will see this pain if you
11 need to deviate from your profile defaults for python.
12
13 I'm like you - use lots of python, package some, write some. I also
14 don't go past the current ~arch python-3 because I have a good sense of
15 what waits for me if I do.
16
17 That you and I don't suffer too much breakage at all since years now is
18 a testament that *someone* is touching all those ebuilds when they need
19 to be touched, that they are managing to do it without much visible
20 fallout is a minor engineering miracle or sheer hard work.
21
22 I think William has a point; sometimes making a criteria a negative one
23 result in a lot less work. A good survey usually gives numbers that let
24 you tell if it will.
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com