From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] What is insopts?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 15:46:31
1 On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 23:32, Sean Mitchell wrote:
2 > Ah!
3 >
4 > Okay... is this because there's no sanctioned way to do it from an ebuild?
5 > Seems to me that /etc/passwd could get huge if we did this for any package
6 > that wants its own userid(s).
7 >
8 > I'm thinking that I should just call useradd... anyone have wisdom to the
9 > contrary to offer?
10 >
11 > On a bit of a tangent, I'm wondering if a qmail or maybe a maildir USE
12 > variable wouldn't be justified as it can have a big impact on other
13 > packages. Mailmail is going to require some tweaking for sure.
16 What I would have done, is create a pkg_postinst() like
17 follow:
18
19 pkg_postinst() {
20 if [ -z "`grep "mailman" /etc/passwd`" ] ; then
21 echo
22 echo "***************************************"
23 echo "* Please create a user called mailman *"
24 echo "***************************************"
25 fi
26 }
27
28 Or similar. I for one do not want stuff just to mess with
29 my config files without me knowing. After all, Gentoo tries
30 to be user friendly without crippeling the user ... and
31 how much effort is it to creat the user exactly how you like
32 it ?
35 Greetings,
39 Martin Schlemmer
40 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Developer
41 Cape Town, South Africa