From: "Amadeusz Żołnowski" <aidecoe@g.o>
To: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [warning] the bug queue has 100 bugs
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 23:01:56
1 Quoting Chris Reffett (2012-10-31 16:17:20)
2 > > Yep he should've assign them, but anyway the annoying elog messages
3 > > are an issue. And quite few packages suffer from it :-)
4
5 It would actually be hard to find useful message which place is in elog
6 showing up every install. Why not move such thing on Wiki for example?
9 > I disagree on most of them (and have marked the KDE-related bugs as
10 > WONTFIX appropriately). Messages that tell the user about config
11 > options,
12
13 ...are *really* annoying, especially when you read it 100th time and
14 especially the one from kdelibs: "Your homedir is set to
15 \${HOME}/.kde4".
18 > or "for x functionality install y" (at least until we get
19 > SDEPEND or something similar added to portage) should show up every
20 > time in my opinion.
21
22 elog message for optional dependencies could be unified if must be
23 shown every time.
26 > Only initial config and "you just enabled (flag)" really merits this.
27 > Basically, I would rather the user get too many elog messages than not
28
29 If you assume that users time have no value and we can flood them with
30 meaningless messages.
33 > enough, since I feel that a lot of people skip over them anyway and so
34 > the "only display once" method makes it far too easy for important
35 > messages to get lost in the shuffle.
36
37 If user gets hundreds of such useless messages it is almost sure that
38 he/she will miss few hidden important messages. The example could be
39 udev long elog message which ONE time has had hidden very important
40 message which I have unfortunately missed and ended up with unbootable
41 system. In current form these messages have no use.
42
43 I have already highlighted this problem on mailing list:
44
45 Subject: [gentoo-dev] Useless messages (elog, ewarn, etc) in ebuilds
46 Id: 20120821132457.4319.78667@localhost
50 Amadeusz Żołnowski