From: Georgy Yakovlev <ya@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] systemd's DynamicUser= in .service files
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2018 23:46:47
1 Hi,
2
3 As of version 2.3.2 systemd includes support for creating a user to run a
4 service as, and extended support since 2.3.5. [1]
5
6 Currently we have stable 233-r6 and 236-r5 on amd64.
7
8 Since we have to support both openrc and systemd in gentoo, and will have
9 create a service user for running under openrc anyways, does it make any sense
10 to provide service files with DynamicUser=yes ?
11
12 If a statically allocated user/group already exists, and unit file contains
13 relevant User=/Group=, the configured user is used and no dynamic user/group
14 is allocated. [2]
15
16 According to 'grep' there are 2 packages currently in the tree:
17
18 net-p2p/cpuminer-opt/files/cpuminer-opt.service
19 8:DynamicUser=true
20
21 net-p2p/xmr-stak/files/xmr-stak.service
22 13:DynamicUser=true
23
24 Both do not provide OpenRC files, so it makes sense.
25
26 Maybe other packages also use that with upstream provided service files, I
27 haven't checked.
28
29 What I'm asking for is your opinion if it's something that should be used in
30 gentoo or should I try to avoid it if possible, especially if a static user is
31 alredy present in the system.
32
33 Thanks!
34