From: "José Fonseca" <j_r_fonseca@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Unnecessary source patch in procmail ebuild for default maildir
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 13:00:23
1 Dear Gentoo developers,
4 First I'd like to say that so far I got pretty impressed with Gentoo, and
5 that I appreciate the work you all have done.
6
7 In the process of switching from my previous distribution I came across
8 with the Gentoo's default maildir format. (I confess that I disagree with
9 this default option but this hardly matters to the case.)
10
11 Although one can use the mbox USE flag I was unaware of all this when I
12 first built Gentoo. In the quest of switching everything back to the mbox
13 format the procmail program gave my quite a few headaches. There was no
14 global configuration file so I decided to take a look to the ebuild and
15 voilá: there was a (sed) patch to the source which defined the default
16 spool dir. This immediately seemed rather excessive since surely a program
17 like procmail would have a configuration option to control that, and it
18 had indeed. To reset to the default behaviour I just created
19 /etc/procmailrc as:
20
21 DEFAULT=/var/spool/mail/$LOGNAME
22
23 So instead of patching the source I strongly advise that the ebuild
24 generates a /etc/procmailrc like:
25
26 DEFAULT=$HOME/.maildir/
27
28 This way someone wanting to change the default on a running system can
29 just do:
30
31 grep -r "\.maildir" /etc/*
32
33 and easily finds all the spots where he should tweak, instead of dwelling
34 into the ebuilds and patches...
37 Since I'm starting to enjoy Gentoo I'll eventually contribute some
38 ebuilds, but I still didn't gave the step to properly study them, and this
39 should be very easy to fix for someone who is familiar with them.
42 Regards,
43
44 José Fonseca