From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:07:20
On 01/24/2010 07:12 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> > should not be marked as system ? > > it removes python-wrapper and this remove python link from > /usr/bin/python linked to /usr/bin/python-wrapper so all portage does > not work after this, but i solved it with a quickpkg from another host > > my dump question why is it not listed as a system pkg when it really > seems so important ? >
The meaning of the system set is to have only the packages directly required to have a minimal functioning system. Having python by itself is not a requirement for that but having package management is. As a consequence python gets pulled in by portage. We could have a separate list for packages for which the PM should tell the user that he's an idiot of course but the best thing is to educate users that emerge -C is dangerous. Regards, Petteri