From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev and /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:02:15
1 On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
2 >> Note: I'm brainstorming here.  Anyone else?
3 >
4 > It's as if people are just totally ignoring what has already been
5 > discussed here, why should we even pay attention to this anymore?
8 I agree that this is getting a bit off-topic. If anybody wants to
9 brainstorm about how udev ought to work, I'd suggest finding their
10 mailing list and posting it there.
11
12 Gentoo is a distro. We take the stuff other people make and make it
13 work nicely together. Our value add comes from the source-based
14 concept and the fact that we do support a pretty wide variety of
15 configurations, within the confines of what the upstream projects
16 allow. If your favorite webapp supports mysql, postgres, or sqlite
17 for the backend chances are you'll find that Gentoo supports all
18 three. However, if your favorite webapp only supports mysql then
19 chances are that we won't write a full postgres integration layer
20 simply because mysql is for losers.
21
22 If you want more options - then somebody has to write them so that we
23 can integrate them.
24
25 Rich