From: Tom Martin <tom@×××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Default -O CFLAG in make.conf
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:19:02
1 Hello all,
2
3 Without wanting to become flame bait at all.. I'd just like to know why
4 -O3 is the default (commented) -O in make.conf, even for x86 stage
5 tarballs (I don't really know about the stageballs on other
6 architectures). Although the usefulness / harm of this flag has been
7 discussed to death, on the vast majority of x86 /desktop/ machines I
8 don't really think this flag is that suitable, and I know many agree.
9
10 The reason I ask is because many people who didn't really change the
11 default flags beyond setting -march have come on #gentoo or on the
12 forums unsatisfied with performance of Gentoo, and there are also
13 several packages that still won't compile with -O3.
14
15 As a default for x86, wouldn't -O2 be more suitable? My personal
16 viewpoint is that if you want to set -O3 on x86, go ahead. But if you
17 do, you should know why you want to do it, and what affects it will
18 have. Many beginners who haven't really got their heads around CFLAGS
19 will possibly read somewhere that -O3 gives the most optimisation and be
20 sold there and then.
21
22 Thanks,
23