From: Brian Harring <bdharring@××××.edu>
To: "Derek J. Belrose" <derek@×××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GUI installer
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 09:41:11
While I think an X based installer would be nice, I think we might benefit
from first doing up a cli based installer first... at the very least, we
would need a cli portage viewer/manager, which would be a nice package on
it's own...

Something also I thought about (and have been playing with), is having
essentially a two stage process for the installer- basically everything prior
to the chroot, and then everything after.  Why?  Well, it would be nice to
have the first half of the installer handle all the fdisking, untarring, etc.
>From there, it chroots, emerge syncs and emerge portages, then pulls down the
newest version of itself, and runs that.
quicky binary x server/svgalib for a x based installer. Meanwhile, if we have at least a basic cli installer setup, that would be immediately useful for the cd's, and w/ an update capability, we could push a graphical installer down to the user once we have it ready... Thoughts? ~harring bdharring@××××.edu On Sunday 13 April 2003 04:30 am, Derek J. Belrose wrote: