From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] PROPERTIES=set for meta-packages that should behave like package sets
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 06:06:45
1 On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 02:51:53 +0000
2 "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Zac Medico wrote:
5 > > Ryan Hill wrote:
6
7 > >> Though what happens if a package is in both sets which have
8 > >> conflicting flags in package.use? I would say that the nested set
9 > >> has to have priority. If not, I can easily imagine people getting
10 > >> confused when their USE settings for a set are being applied to
11 > >> all but one or two packages.
12
13 > > It seems to me that the most logical approach would be to do some
14 > > sort of "incremental" stacking, similar to the way that USE flags
15 > > stack in the profiles. Suppose that we have the following settings
16 > > in package.use:
17 > >
18 > > @kde-meta foo bar
19 > > @kdeedu-meta -foo
20 > >
21 > > If the flags are stacked incrementally, analogously to the way that
22 > > they are stacked in profiles, then the above setting would apply the
23 > > "foo" and "bar" flags to all of @kde-meta except for the
24 > > @kdeedu-meta subset which would only have "bar" applied since "foo"
25 > > has been disabled incrementally. Does this approach seem reasonable?
26
27 > This sounds a good approach.
28 >
29 > Ryan, I disagree with your proposal. If I enable a use flag for the
30 > "meta" @kde and also disable it for @kdenetwork, I don't expect my
31 > option for the @kde "meta" to override my option for @kdenetwork.
32 > As Zac proposed, an incremental stack makes more sense. Before we had
33 > sets, when we enabled a use flag for a meta and disabled it for an
34 > ebuild pulled by the meta, we never expected the option for the ebuild
35 > to be overridden by the option for the meta.
36
37 Yes, that's what I said. ;)
38
39 The nested set's flags (@kde-network) override the parent set's flags
40 (@kde).
44 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
45 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
46 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662