From: Dror Levin <spatz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2010 13:40:54
1 On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 16:19, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > 1 - requirements
3 > ================
4 >
5 > In order to choose the best possible wiki implementation, we need to
6 > know our requirements. So what features do you think are essential or
7 > good to have? What syntax would we prefer to use?
8 >
9 > I myself am a big fan of reStructuredText, which is quite simple,
10 > easy to pick up, highly readable, and has a good featureset. Plus, it
11 > is also reusable in other contexts (it is for example widely used in
12 > documentation of Python libraries). MediaWiki, MoinMoin and Trac have
13 > support for rst.
14 >
15 > Some others:
16 >
17 > - active upstream (bug fixes, security updates)
18 > - free open source software
19 > - ACLs
20 > - spam prevention measures
21 > - attachments (to upload screenshots for example)
22 > - feeds
23 There is currently a wiki for gentoo at gentoo-wiki.com, which is
24 running MediaWiki, so it would be easiest to transfer the content if
25 we were to run the same software. Now, this doesn't mean we should be
26 limited by their actions, but it seems to me like the best choice for
27 other reasons as well. Its syntax is probably the most well known,
28 thanks to Wikipedia. Its upstream is active, it apparently scales and
29 performs pretty well, it's GPL, supports translations/localization,
30 feeds, attachments, etc.
31 I'm sure many other alternatives are as qualified, so this is most
32 likely a personal preference issue. As such, lets just agree on
33 something that works and is widespread and go with that and avoid all
34 the bikeshedding.
35
36 > 2 - maintainers
37 > ===============
38 >
39 > Who is volunteering for maintaining the wiki? We need editors and
40 > moderators, people who look out for quality control and take care of
41 > spam removal. So let's get together a team. I'm sure if we ask on the
42 > forums we'll get some users interested as well.
43 I volunteer. Spam shouldn't be that much of an issue if editing is
44 restricted to registered users, but it is a good idea to have a team
45 of moderators similar to the one that exists for the forums (of course
46 users can take part of it as well as developers).
47
48 > 3 - edit access
49 > ===============
50 >
51 > Do we keep to the original "free for all" model, with all the spam
52 > that includes, or do we go with registered users only? I think the
53 > latter is the smarter option. I also think we will want to mark
54 > certain pages "official" and lock down editing rights.
55 IMO it's best if only registered users can edit (but registering
56 should be easy, no bugs to file or anything, just sign up and use
57 immediately). This will probably prevent most kinds of spam and allow
58 for much better tracking of editing and history, allow for banning,
59 etc. without closing the wiki up too much.
60 Also, from what I could tell, this is how others are managing their
61 wiki as well (Arch and Amarok, for example).
62
63 Dror Levin