From: Maxim Kammerer <mk@×××.su>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages up for grabs due lack of time
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:22:54
1 On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 6:47 AM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2 > He means that until you install the package with all firmware enabled you don't
3 > know what lines you need to put into the savedconfig file.
4
5 I have posted a snippet previously — you basically search for
6 "firmware=..." in kernel modules. It's doesn't always work, though —
7 e.g., it won't with DVB firmware, I think.
8
9 > Even after you do that it's hard to figure out what firmware files you actually
10 > need. I know I need iwl6000 firmware for Intel Ultimate-N 6300 wifi, but
11 > linux-firmware contains:
12 >
13 > iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode
14 > iwlwifi-6000g2a-5.ucode
15 > iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
16 > iwlwifi-6000g2b-5.ucode
17 > iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode
18 >
19 > Are these different versions? Different cards? Which do I need? I had to
21 > right one.
22
23 iwlwifi is somewhat special, with its multiple versions and
24 subversions. In this case, 6000{,g2{a,b}} are different cards, and
25 -[456] are different firmware APIs, with multiple APIs supported by a
26 given kernel. See, e.g.,
27 /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-6000.c.
30 Maxim Kammerer
31 Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte