From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 01:21:14
1 On 06/07/2012 11:04 AM, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
2 > On Thu, 07 Jun 2012 09:43:32 -0700
3 > Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 06/07/2012 01:24 AM, Brian Harring wrote:
6 >>> I'm perfectly fine w/ ABI_SLOT and SLOT (I proposed a similar thing
7 >>> in '06/'07); I'd however suggest ensuring there is some buy in from
8 >>> devs on that one since that was the main argument against it in the
9 >>> past.
10 >>
11 >> I can imagine that ABI_SLOT operator deps will be a lot more popular
12 >> than SLOT operator deps, since ABI_SLOT operator deps will accommodate
13 >> the common practice of allowing ABI changes within a particular SLOT.
14 >
15 > What for? So we won't ever get rid of revdep-rebuild resp.
16 > @preserved-libs? Except for the ranged dep problem I don't see any
17 > additional benefit but potential drawbacks. Please correct me where I'm
18 > wrong.
19
20 ABI_SLOT operator deps *do* allow us to get rid of revdep-rebuild, since
21 they are usable in cases like the dbus-glib/glib:2 dependency, where
22 SLOT operator deps are unmanageable.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac