From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Python Project <python@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding PYTHON_TARGETS=python2_7 to base profile
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 15:11:08
1 On 5/14/2012 12:50 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > On 14 May 2012 04:27, Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> wrote:
3 >> To make ebuilds utilizing python-distutils-ng.eclass usable
4 >> "out-of-the-box", the python team would like to add the following to
5 >> make.defaults in the base profile.
6 >>
7 >> PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
8 >>
9 >> See also bug 415575 [1].
10 >>
11 >> Any objections?
12 >
13 > I think this is a good addition.
14 >
15 >> I would also like to include python3_2, but I do not think this will be
16 >> possible due to dev-lang/python:3.2 not being stabilized on several
17 >> arches. Perhaps this could be set in arch-specific profiles? Would that
18 >> work?
19 >
20 > I don't see how python:3.2 is useful for most of our users. And I
21 > especially don't see how having two python versions installed (but
22 > only one active) is useful for most of our users. So let's make
23 > sure only one version gets pulled in, unless specifically
24 > configured by the user.
25
26 So long as any installed package depends on dev-lang/python without
27 specifying a version, the user will end up with python-3 unless they
28 mask it. There is no easy way out of that situation at this point; I
29 think it would basically require renaming >=dev-lang/python-3 to
30 something else.
31
32 If we acknowledge that users have both python:3.2 and python:2.7
33 installed most of the time, I think it makes sense to set the default
34 value of PYTHON_TARGETS to match that expectation.