From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 17:26:55
1 On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 17:05 +0200, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
2 > Le lundi 05 juillet 2010 à 08:57 +0000, Duncan a écrit :
3 > [lots of stuff about bashisms and posix]
4 > > So let's stabilize OpenRC and be done with it, and /then/ we can debate
5 > > where we want to go from there.
8 > YES, let's get it stable.
9 >
10 > However please consider not re-adding bashisms and/or not make it less
11 > POSIX shell compliant than it already is at light speed. It is a great
12 > thing that openrc tries to achieve and allows more use of openrc than
13 > basic desktop/server gentoo usage (think embedded and other distros).
14 > At least one other distro did this move a while ago (debian) and I don't
15 > think they will go back. Seeing they are also moving to a dependency
16 > based init system, they probably could just run a fork of openrc (for
17 > their init scripts are not exactly compatible with what we do).
18
19 Other distributions are going one step further and are going for
20 shell-free boot. We should follow that lead.
24 Olivier Crête
25 tester@g.o
26 Gentoo Developer