From: Benjamin Podszun <ben@××××××××××××××.de>
To: brad@××××××.com
Cc: "Robin H.Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>, Brian Jackson <brian@××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Performance once again..
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 22:36:20
1 On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 00:17, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 17:46, Benjamin Podszun wrote:
3 >
4 > > You upgraded to Apache2? I guess (hope?) that you don't talk about
5 > > production environments? I tried to use Apache2 with PHP twice and
6 > > wouldn't recommend it to anyone.. It's just buggy and not usable. As my
7 > > current Gentoo-Servers are.. *cough*
8 >
9 > Hardware configuration? Amount of RAM? Number of CPU's? What specific
10 > revision of gentoo-sources? Have you tried vanilla-sources or alan cox's
11 > patchset? What configuration options had you given the Debian kernel and
12 > do they differ from those you gave to Gentoo's kernel?
13
14 Uhm.. I did post my hardware, but maybe it wasn't clear enough in all my
15 messages.
16 Compaq-Server, 2 1GHz CPUs, 2GB RAM, no special hardware, apart from
17 Smart Arrays..
18 Vanilla-sources 2.4.20
19
20 Debian:
21 vanilla 2.4.18, built with the "normal" way, no deb-package
22
23 > Have you tried 2.4.18 under Gentoo to see if it solves your problems?
24
25 Yes, no difference
26
27 > This isn't a matter of Debian working and Gentoo not working; there's a
28 > configuration difference between the two, that's all.
29
30 Yes, I don't doubt it. But I copied the php.ini, apache-config-files and
31 I don't see the difference. The only thing I see is that apache sucks up
32 to 99% CPU (I don't know if it was the same on the Debian system,
33 honestly) and the server stops responding to any requests while the load
34 drops to ~ 0 ..
35
36 Ben