From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Making backwards-incompatible tree changes | a solution for GLEP 55's problem
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 13:09:47
1 El mar, 20-09-2011 a las 01:14 +0300, Alex Alexander escribió:
2 > EAPI in profiles and the -live version suffix are some of the improvements
3 > many people would like to see in the tree. Unfortunately, the risk of breaking
4 > systems with old versions of portage has been too high, holding evolution
5 > back.
6 >
7 > I've been thinking about a way to solve this that would be easy to implement,
8 > without any significant compromises and one thing comes to mind:
9 >
10 > Manipulation of the SYNC variable (i.e. rsync module),
11 > combined with tree snapshots.
12 >
13 > At the moment, all systems have a SYNC line similar to this:
14 >
15 > SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
16 >
17 > My idea is simple. When incompatible changes have to be introduced to the
18 > tree, push a new version of portage that includes support for all the new
19 > features we want to provide.
20 >
21 > Then, freeze the tree and clone it into a revbumped rsync module, i.e.
22 >
23 > SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage-r1"
24 >
25 > That way the last update provided by the old tree will be the updated portage
26 > package, which will be aware of the SYNC change.
27 >
28 > After the user installs that update, every subsequent emerge run will print a
29 > fat red warning telling the user that the tree has been revbumped.
30 >
31 > It will then provide instructions on how to update the make.conf/SYNC
32 > and a Y/N prompt to fix it itself. It could even do it automatically,
33 > but that's debatable.
34 >
35 > By doing this we can be sure that any user using the revbumped SYNC have
36 > an up-to-date portage (if they cheated, well, that's their problem), allowing
37 > us to use all the new features provided by the latest version of portage.
38 >
39 > For the above to work, we would require at least
40 > - support for multiple rsync modules pointing to different trees
41 > [also in mirrors]
42 > - a way to freeze the current state of the tree for the current rsync module
43 > and push future updates to a revbumped rsync module.
44 > - update our portage-snapshot tools to use the latest rsync module.
45 > - other things I'm probably forgetting right now
46 >
47 > I'm not sure how much work would be required to make our current
48 > infrastructure support this, the infra people could shed some light on
49 > this.
50 >
51 > The idea is to use this system sparingly, only when we need to push big
52 > changes that can't be supplied through an EAPI. Another example would be a
53 > change that would break the upgrade path. By freezing the tree at the right
54 > moment, we can be sure that the users will follow a known upgrade path
55 > that works.
56 >
57 > Please keep in mind that my solution isn't trying to be the best thing
58 > possible. Instead, I'm aiming for something that would do the job and would be
59 > implemented in a realistic timeframe.
60 >
61 > What do you guys think?
62
63 I haven't ever tried it but, what would occur if that people with really
64 updated systems simply unpack an updated stage3 tarball in their / and,
65 later, try to update?