From: Jeff Horelick <jdhore@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What did we achieve in 2012? What are our resolutions for 2013?
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:10:36
1 On 31 December 2012 09:17, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > Happy New Year to all of you!
3 >
4 > Looking back at 2012, I wonder what we consider our achievements for
5 > this past year. What is the state of Gentoo? How have we brought it
6 > forward and improved it this past year?
7 >
8 > And what do we want to see in the coming year? How can we make Gentoo
9 > more awesome in 2013?
10 >
11 > I will add my own thoughts later. I first would like to hear from you.
12 > --
13 > Cheers,
14 >
15 > Ben | yngwin
16 > Gentoo developer
17 > Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin
20 For starters, I think the state of Gentoo isn't too bad. Yes, there
21 are a few more maintainer-needed packages than we'd like to see, but
22 MOST packages are well maintained, we're keeping arch pretty stable
23 and up-to-date and working well for most arches and even ~arch isn't
24 too broken. Portage is working better than it ever has and EAPI=5 is
25 in full swing. I wish we could get started on stabilising gcc-4.6.x,
26 but i suppose there are still A BIT too many packages that need to be
27 fixed with it (though nothing really critical now that we've fixed the
28 GRUB bug).
29
30 The biggest thing that has changed in Gentoo in the past year in my
31 opinion is mindshare. I think we are back in the public's mindshare.
32 Mostly with good advocacy, a bit with good publicity and even a bit
33 with bad publicity (eudev haters, i'm looking at you...but i suppose
34 the old saying "There's no such thing as bad publicity" applies here a
35 bit). It hasn't really resulted in too many new developers or
36 contributors but from what i've seen, it's resulted in A LOT of new
37 users.
38
39 For 2013, I don't really think much needs to be done. Mostly just keep
40 the status quo. It would be nice to see the git migration happen in
41 2013, i'm sure that will spur many new contributors. I'd like to see
42 preserve-libs (either in its current state or fully driven by
43 subslots) enabled by default in 2013. Also, of course, i'd like to see
44 more developers come on board in 2013.
45
46 It's really difficult to sum up the past year and the future because,
47 over the year, i've seen so many things in Gentoo that i've said
48 "That's so cool" in regards to, but i wouldn't put it on a list of the
49 biggest improvements of the year.