From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Suitable USE flag name for stuff that requires non volatile memory
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 23:13:13
1 Hi List!
2
3 dhcpcd-3.1 is making good progress and is almost ready to be put into
4 the tree. One of it's new features is that it generates a DUID-LLT.
5 This has to be stored in non volatile storage, so it persists across
6 reboots. I would like a nice USE flag name, so it can be compiled with
7 or without that support. My ideas so far.
8
9 duid
10 duid-llt
11 (both descriptive, but doesn't actually mean anything to most users)
12
13 livecd
14 (only a livecd is volative, even embedded devices have non volative
15 storage)
16
17 volatile
18
19 More are welcome :)
20
21 For those that are interested in what a DUID is, read on. A DUID (DHCP
22 Unique IDentifier) is a unique identifier to the machine that should
23 never change and is used along with an IAID (Identity association
24 identifier). Simply put its a means of identifying the machine and the
25 interface. The DHCP specification allowed >1 interface per machine, but
26 with the advent of dynamic DNS it's near impossible to match machines
27 and interfaces reliably. This allows just that so in the future servers
28 can get a list of IP's for a name instead of just the last/first one in.
29
30 It's also required for DHCP over infiniband and IPv6.
31
32 The big downside is that it does require non volative storage or you
33 could get a big long list because ...... interfaces can be changed into
34 other machines, so part of the DUID is a time stamp. Once you have a
35 DUID, it should never change.
36
37 Of course, the RFC's that define all this seem to have forgotten about
38 dual booting different OS's, but that's not our problem :)
39
40 Thanks
41
42 Roy