From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: ssl vs openssl vs libressl vs gnutls USE flag foo
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:16:50
1 On 10/28/2015 07:23 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 >
3 > Agreed. If there's one choice then "ssl" should be used. openssl/libressl/etc
4 > should really be considered sub-flags of ssl.
5 >
6 > I really wish we had some way of specifying this to make things clearer to the
7 > user, so they could see exactly how these flags interact with each other.
8 > Something like (emerge -pv):
11 The problem here is that we introduced REQUIRED_USE foo for these cases
12 which is again highly ambigous instead of making the PM aware that this
13 is an actual sub-USE flag.
14
15 This is outside of the scope of this thread, but there are already
16 distros that have fixed this:
17 1. NixOS [0] with truly declarative configuration format, e.g. something
18 like:
19 packages.ssl.provider = openssl;
20
21 or somesuch (just an example)
22
23 2. Exherbo partly [1] with providers syntax:
24 */* providers: -openssl libressl
25
26 and the exheres would then do something like:
27 DEPENDENCIES="
28 build+run:
29 providers:openssl? ( dev-libs/openssl:0 )
30 providers:libressl? ( dev-libs/libressl )
31 "
32
33 which is a lot cleaner than USE_EXPAND + REQUIRED_USE, which still can
34 have arbitrary meanings.
35
36 But NIH will prevent us from learning here I guess.
39 [0] https://nixos.org/nixos/manual/
40 [1] http://exherbo.org/docs/eapi/providers-and-virtuals.html