From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:43:27
On Sunday 04 December 2011 06:58:06 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Mike Frysinger schrieb: > > and in reality, you're complaining only about LC_MESSAGES, not LC_ALL or > > any other locale category ... > > I too think it is sufficient to have > LC_MESSAGES=C > in the default make.conf (or somewhere else where the user can easily > change it), with a comment to leave it like this for build.log when > reporting bugs.
this would allow a small # of bugs to creep into our system (some packages run programs and then grep the output for english strings and miss setting LC_{MESSAGES,ALL} to C first), but that might easily be smaller than the burden placed on bug-wranglers ... i'm indifferent to setting LC_MESSAGES=C in the default make.conf (i.e. via catalyst). i don't think it should be in the profile's make.defaults. -mike