From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: vivo75@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:55:12
1 On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:11:32 +0100
2 Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > I tried messing around with this with Amazon EC2.  The problem was
5 > > that due to latency I only really saw the benefit for VERY high
6 > > levels of parallelization (think -j25+)..  However, make isn't
7 > > actually "distcc-aware" so it just runs 25 jobs of anything in
8 > > parallel.  So, anytime a makefile launched a ton of java or python
9 > > jobs the host ground to a halt as it wasn't distributed and it was
10 > > way more than the host could handle (especially java - which
11 > > swapped like there was no tomorrow).
12 >
13 > Just wanted to point out that (if there is enough memory) recent
14 > kernels manage much better parallelism, even excess of it, once
15 > reached the maximum load augmenting threads only bring minimal loss of
16 > "real" time.
17
18 Does that include handling complete lack of memory and heavy swapping?
21 Best regards,
22 Michał Górny