From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] acceptable alternatives to -Werror, was: Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 11:47:40
1 > On Sep 12, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich Freeman schrieb:
4 >>> Requirements:
5 >>>
6 >>> * Do not fail to build/install when a warning is encountered
7 >> On a particularly critical package like a filesystem, wouldn't we want
8 >> to still fail to install when a warning is encountered?
9 >
10 > Installation will proceed, but the user will get a big fat warning that the sys-fs/zfs package is potentially broken.
11
12 The way that it works is that a user explicitly must enable USE=debug for -Werror to apply. The package itself’s use of -Werror in USE=debug does not prevent corruption issues so much as it detects them because the kernel code is built in userspace. sys-fs/zfs-kmod is what matters for this. USE=debug does not turn on -Werror there because we don’t inject it into the kernel build system. If such a bug is detected and a user proceeds to use the rebuilt kernel module, things could go poorly.
13
14 Anyway, I seem to have injected noise into the conversation by bringing this up because the discussion is whether -Werror by default should be allowed. I only commented because I felt that it should be an exception in the case of USE=debug or an explicit USE flag for Werror (e.g. USE=Werror).
15 >
16 >> I get that users might quit if packages don't install, but I'm not
17 >> sure that a filesystem corruption is going to make them any happier...
18 >
19 > If the user recognizes this as a critical package, then they can do the research before deciding on whether to use the package as is, attempt to downgrade, or wait until a fix is released.
22 > Best regards,
23 > Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
24 >