From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2016 18:54:30
1 On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 2:32 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > In the spirit of hearing arguments for/against .. could someone with the
3 > appropriate 'fu' throw up a quick survey for those on this ML (and/or
4 > possibly the g-users?) to indicate a preference for a change to a
5 > flattened-/usr system?
6 >
7 > I did think re: the eudev "debate" that it was really hard to quantify
8 > the opinion for and against a change, and take it away from the vocal
9 > people that obviously feel passionately about their cause :) .
12 By all means do so, but we can probably save the trouble and assume
13 that 95% of the respondents would prefer things remain as they are,
14 and probably 80% would suggest that Gentoo should fully support
15 systems without /usr mounted during early boot.
16
17 Gentoo has become a fairly conservative distro, even more so when
18 everybody else dropped support for not running systemd.
19
20 I personally think the /usr merge is a cleaner approach (and I'd go a
21 step further and merge sbin and bin), but it was rightly said that
22 many of the benefits of a merge only come when you do a lot of other
23 things as well. Of course, we could go ahead and do those things
24 later.
25
26 I think the main immediate benefit of a usr merge is that it actually
27 reduces the risk of shebangs and such pointing to the wrong place (due
28 to compat links, and there only being one right place in general), and
29 it greatly consolidates the static stuff on the filesystem.
32 Rich