From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] grub:2 keywords
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 04:17:02
1 An official release of grub-2.00 should be coming pretty soon. I would
2 like to keyword this for ~amd64 and ~x86 shortly after it hits the tree.
3 I don't do much work on base system packages, so I would like some
4 advice on how to make this as smooth as possible.
5
6 My main concern is that many people probably have sys-boot/grub in
7 @world. If grub:2 is made visible, portage will install it, and will
8 remove grub-0.97 on the next depclean. This could be a little confusing,
9 but should not cause any immediate damage since the copy of grub-0.97
10 installed in the MBR and /boot would remain intact.
11
12 Is this worthy of a news item? Or I just blog about it?
13
14 Anything else I need to think about here?
15
16 Note: The Gentoo Documentation Project has indicated that they do not
17 want to add anything to the handbook until we are somewhat close to
18 stabilizing grub:2. That's at least a couple months away.