From: Colin Morey <gentoo@××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installation modifications for 3ware cards
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 02:38:11
1 On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 06:13, Tucker I Sylvestro wrote:
2 >
3 > Nope, I didn't type modprobe 3w-xxxx until after I built and copied it in
4 > the way I mentioned in the howto. Nor did I know I needed to probe the
5 > scsi driver in order to have sda created. That sounds much easier than
6 > then the process I went through ;)
7 >
8 believe me it is :)
9
10 > I do think it would be nice to have that linked somewhere off the install
11 > page, or at least somewhere in the docs. I thought I'd been pretty
12 > thorough about looking in all the right places before trying to roll my
13 > own solution, and didn't find that described anywhere.
14 >
15 I'm going to be including this in a forth coming guide (server focused).
16
17 > Purely out of curiousity, why don't I need to run modprobe now that my
18 > computer's booting off the RAID array? I compiled the module into my
19 > kernel, so how is it different from the kernel on the CD (which did not
20 > automatically recognize the drives) if the drivers were compiled into that
21 > too? I'm pretty sure I do have the 1.1a version since I bought it from
22 > Edmunds Enterprises, straight off the link on the gentoo.org home page.
23 >
24 the module on the cd is just that, a module,.. and as loading every
25 module on the cd would require a non-trivial memory load it's easier for
26 people to load them manually.
27 (i believe the current install documentation does actually mention the
28 use of
29 "modprobe sd_mod"
30 for loading the relevant disk drivers)
31
32 there is a list of the modules available, (see Bug ID #2764 on
33 http://bugs.gentoo.org).
34
35 Colin Morey,
36 (Aka Peitolm/col)